The Last Frontier

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Seeking a Husband


Writing this post feels awkward to me. I never thought I’d find myself in this position. The primary reason for my awkwardness today is . . . well, the primary reason for this post. Back in the days of the early settlers, if a woman’s husband died, she had to either find another suitable husband, or she had to go back to the city and to her family. Even thinking about the possibility of having to move to town makes me feel sick, and I have no family left.

In some ways, I feel like I can relate to many of those unfortunate pioneer women. They were strong, independent and determined, but life alone in the wilderness wasn’t easy for anyone, much less a widow with children. That’s why I’m writing today. I want to find a suitable husband.

I haven’t posted since last year after my husband died. Chuck and I had a wonderful, solid marriage for nearly 20 years. I wasn’t at all ready for that to end, especially so suddenly. My sons and I had a rough winter, but thanks to the prayers and direct help of so many friends and even people we’ve never met, we’re moving forward with the life that Chuck and I began on our remote homestead in the Alaskan bush.

I love living in the bush, but I’m not determined to stay at my current location. I love Alaska and prefer to remain in this wonderful state, but I am willing to consider living elsewhere.

A little about me

If you’ve read much of this blog, you already know quite a bit about me. I’m 54 years old, 5’4”, average build, and in very good health. I cook and heat with wood. I have no indoor plumbing, which really isn’t bad. If I didn’t have to go outside from time to time in the middle of a cold winter night, I’d miss some incredible Northern Lights! Until a couple of weeks ago, I hauled our water from a spring. A great friend from the lower 48 came up for a visit to help, and now, among other things, I have a basic water system.  It’s a simple life that requires a lot of hard work. I wouldn’t mind having things a little easier, but I’m content.

I’m exceptionally devoted, honest and direct.

I prefer staying within Alaska, but I would consider moving to Montana, North Idaho, or possibly other rural areas.

My political views are very conservative. Living in the Alaskan wilderness was a childhood dream long before I knew anything about politics. Over the years of living in the bush, I’ve developed a definite prepper/survivalist mindset, and I enjoy learning and practicing bushcrafting skills.

I enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, trapping, shooting sports and just about anything outdoors. I love listening to rain on a metal roof. I love flying, and recently started training to become a pilot. I had to put that on hold for a little while, but I hope to pick it back up soon.

In many ways, I’m old fashioned and traditional. I homeschool my son. I bake pies and homemade breads, and make homemade marshmallows for cookouts. I grow a garden and put food up for the winter. I don’t really enjoy gardening, but it’s necessary so I do it. I pick berries and make jellies, jams, syrup, fruit leather, and an occasional batch of homemade wine. My son and I tap birch trees in the springtime. I make soap, and knit mittens and socks.

Things about you that are a must:
  • Believe in God.
  • Be very healthy and active.
  • Be courageous, loyal, hard working and respectful. In general, be a man with grit and strong character.
  • Willing to be a father to my 9 year old son. He is a wonderful, fun, active, homeschooled little boy who misses his Daddy and needs a strong father.
  • Have a good sense of humor.
  • Want to live (or already live) in a rural area.
  • Love the outdoors and be able to take care of yourself in the woods.
  • Know how and be willing to hunt and fish.
  • Be handy with tools.
  • Be mechanical (know how to maintain and do basic repairs on equipment, such as a chainsaw, generator, snow machine . . .) I’m not, but I’m learning.

Things about you that do not matter:
  • Your age (as long as you are very healthy)
  • Your appearance (as long as you are very healthy)
  • I do not care if you have been previously married or have children living with you, as long as they are respectful.
Things that are a plus (preferable, but not essential):
  • You are a pilot. (This one is a very strong preference, but not crucial.) I live remote now, so it will be difficult (not impossible) for us to get to know each other unless you fly. I love flying.
  • I prefer a man between the age of 48 and 60. A little younger could be all right, but older --- probably not.
  • Height --- not a major thing, but I prefer a man at least 5’10”. If you are shorter, that’s fine.
  • You raise (or would like to raise) livestock, such as goats, cows and/or chickens.
  • You play an instrument, such as violin/fiddle, banjo, guitar, piano, etc. I haven’t played piano in many years, but I sure love listening to music.
  • You enjoy gardening. I don’t, so if you do, that will motivate me :-)

If you are sincerely seeking a life-long commitment with a loving wife, and believe that you have the qualities I mentioned above, please send an email with a good description of yourself, your background, and what you want in a wife. 

36 comments:

Carol G said...

Hi Jenny, good to see a post from you again. I hope all is well. I've been wondering about you :). We'll have to chat again soon.

Granny Miller said...

You are so amazing and strong. Know that you and your children will be in my prayers until a husband is sent for you.

The Last Frontier said...

Good to hear from both of you. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Rick said...

I'm glad to see you back to posting again. I've enjoyed reading your posts and love hearing about living in the bush. Please keep posting. I have faith things will work out for you. Stay strong. Truly sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck.

Le Loup said...

Very good to hear from you again, but please take your time choosing & be careful!!!
Sincere regards, Keith.

The Last Frontier said...

Rick and Keith, thank you both very much for your kind words. Keith, I will be careful. I do appreciate your concern.

Debbie Schreib said...

good to see you posting! good luck with your journey to a new life. I'm confused, as I thought you had two sons? best wishes.

The Last Frontier said...

Thank you, Debbie. One of them no longer lives with us.

Anonymous said...

You have been in my prayers since the loss of you helpmate. Continuing in prayer for you.


A. Jones
Florida

The Last Frontier said...

Thank you. Your continued prayers are greatly appreciated.

Bob K said...

Awesome idea. Rock on, Jenny!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss Jenny. The Lord takes care of his own so do not lose faith... Nobody will ever replace Chuck but God knows who could be the next best thing for you!

Take care
Ben
Australia

The Last Frontier said...

Bob, thank you. And Ben, Thank you, too. I appreciate the encouragement.

Illinois Lori said...

Hi Jenny, I'll be praying for you as you wait on the Lord to provide for this need in your life, and for your son, as well. God bless you all...

Louellen Lawson said...


So glad to read that you are well. Big smile on my face. I have prayed for you often since Chuck passed. It's kind of like a mail-order husband. :) Hope it all works out wonderfully. ~lou~

John said...

Hey Jenny, I wish you all the luck in finding your way through life and for a good man. Take care

Anonymous said...

you are such a strong amazing women I hope you find every thing you are looking for I will be prying for you your son and for you to find a great man
amber

Anonymous said...

May God Bless and keel you and yours. Will be praying everyday for you on this my Sister in Christ.

Rob said...

I'm just visiting different blogs this morning and found yours...
Wow! Good luck.

The Last Frontier said...

Thank you very much for your kind words and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I had this feeling for a few weeks now that I needed to check back with your page and sure enough you had something new up.

I shared a link to this post to boost your signal and hopefully you find someone right for you.

God Bless

The Last Frontier said...

Thank you very much. Where did you post the link?

Elly said...

Hi Jenny. i loved reading ur blog and ur life. very fascinating and very different from my extreme city life here in Singapore.

I am sorry about ur husband and the hard time u had to go through.. i hope and pray that u will find someone who will be ur life long companion and that will help u and ur son in these hard times.

I am just a little confused. i thought u had 2 sons? jed and zeke?! anyways, hope all goes well! Will be praying for u <3

Love,
Elly

Melissa said...

I have been checking on occasion to see if you had posted. I think of you often. I will pray that God will provide just the husband/daddy you need.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeremy Myers said...

Have you considered a Partnership of sorts? For example, I know myself, being already married with three children, have always had a dream of moving to Alaska and living in the backcountry. I've always been a country boy, but the biggest danger here in southern Missouri is getting shot by a meth-head versus being mauled by a Grizzly.

The partnership could be one of the hundreds (possibly thousands) of people in the lower 48 who've always dreamed of moving up to Alaska that could live on the same place as you live now so you dont have to worry about leaving. If you have enough room, they could build a separate house to give you privacy yet be close enough to share in chores and be a person to visit with in the long winters.

Having a place to go and some way of affording it is the #1 reason I have not made it up there yet. If someone had a place to go they could trade labor for living.

The Last Frontier said...

It's great to hear from you, Melissa!!! Thank you so much for your prayers.

Vickie @ makingoursustainablelife.com said...

This is my first time visiting your blog, and I have spent the last hour reading over your past postings! Wow - I am jealous of your lifestyle but sorry for your loss. I can imagine the serenity you have while living in your homestead, but also the loneliness you have obviously developed. I wish you much success in the new journey of your life and I pray that you find a suitable partner soon - very soon. Just be careful, there are a lot of creepy people out there! I can't wait to read more!

Miss M said...

It's so good to see you post again! I have been wondering how y'all have been doing, and praying for you when I think of it.

I do pray the Lord brings you a wonderful husband. :)

Humble wife said...

Praying for you in NM. This post is an example of the spirit of America that many feel is gone. You are truly vying for all you believe in.

Be strong.

Take care,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today and read the last few entries, which are heart-touching. You are obviously a very special person and I think it was very brave of you to say you are looking for a husband. There must be men living a rural life who would like the companionship and security of a relationship. I hope you find a soul-mate to spend the rest of your life with. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today and read the last few entries, which are heart-touching. You are obviously a very special person and I think it was very brave of you to say you are looking for a husband. There must be men living a rural life who would like the companionship and security of a relationship. I hope you find a soul-mate to spend the rest of your life with. Good luck to you.
Mike.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jenny,What part of Alaska are you and your boy in? I really like how you have come out and said it the way it is. No gray areas here. I have the utmost respect for how you made it simple and to the point of what you are looking for. You will have success im sure, you are good looking, you live a great lifestyle, and live in the best country their is, Alaska. If I had more experience at what you are needing, I would take you up on this search of yours. I want to live as you and your son are.

Emma said...

I just found your blog yesterday, and your story went right to my heart. Just trust in The Lord and you will be able to stand everything! Please know that you are in my prayers everyday. I will pray that God will send you a man and father for your son; I know how important that is! God Bless!

Jennifer Hoots said...

Dear Jenny, it's so good to know you are doing well. I appreciate your updates. I will pray the Lord sends you a great man. Let us know how He answers the desire of your heart!

james w said...

Jenny i am exactly what you are looking for. I am 44 years old and a loving father of 3. Outdoors is my life. I will try and email you later cant doit now. Sincerly james

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...